Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Today's Menu

I am going to start posting the dinners I cook every night since lately I have been cooking a lot and using a lot of new recipes. We'll see how this goes and if anybody enjoys it, if not it will probably be discontinued. I used to hate cooking with a passion, but every since I started getting food so cheap and being hungry ALL the time from being pregnant, I am actually starting to like it! And suprisingly, almost everything I make turns out really awesome.

My favorite things to cook are deserts and pies and such, but I haven't been making too many of them lately. I haven't found any sales on many pie baking items so I am going to hold off untill I find them on sale, I am SO cheap!

So here is tonight's dinner. Simple yet tasty, and very little work because today is one of those days where I don't want to cook since I am re-organizing my cupboards and closets.

Hearty Beef Stew:

2 cans of sliced carrots
2 cans of green beans
2 cans of new sliced potatoes (or slice about 4 medium potatoes)
1 packet of Mc Cormick Slow Cookers Savory Pot Roast Seasoning
1 to 1 1/2 pounds of stew meat

Directions:

Pour vegetables and meat into a large crockpot. Mix the seasoning packet as the directions say on the back and pour into crockpot. Make sure to add enough water to just barely cover everything in the crockpot otherwise the stuff on top won't cook. Mix everything up and put the lid on! Cook on low for 8 or so hours, or you can cook on high for a faster cook time!

Notes: If you don't have the seasoning packet handy, you can use a can of beef broth or a beef bouillon cube and you will get basically the same flavors. Once the meat and everything cooks together it produces a lot of it's own flavors.

Also, I have a fairly big crock pot, not sure on how many quarts but it's big. So when I make this stew we always have enough left overs for 2-3 days and this is with my DH and I both eating numerous bowls per day so this recipe makes a lot of servings. If you don't need that many servings just use 1 can of everything and perhaps a bit less meat and it will turn out great!

Let me know if you try this recipe and like it!

PS: I am also making a loaf of home made white bread to go with this meal. I am using the bread maker so I guess it isn't truly home made, but close enough for my family =)

Estimated cost of this meal - 6$

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love soups for the winter time. Will have to show my wife these recipes.