Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Here is another recipe that my family really likes! I made this last night and it turned out pretty good, although I like stuff really spicy so next time I make it I am going to up the spices. If you like it spicy you might want to do the same.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
2 cans of chicken broth
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans (rinsed well)
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic or garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder (I used a lot more than this and think it needed more)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
tortilla chips
1 cup of Mexican blend shredded cheese

Directions:

In a large pot over medium heat, saute the chicken in the oil for 10-15 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well. Then add the broth, corn, chili powder, and lemon juice. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.

Break up the tortilla chips and sprinkle over individual bowls of soup, also sprinkle cheese on the soup bowls as well

Notes:

I found that simmering over medium-low heat for about an hour made the flavors blend together so much better. I also used a lot of chili powder because I thought it was a bit bland. I posted the original directions though, because I know not everybody is a Texan.... LOL.... Seriously though, I know some people don't like spicy food and if you don't the original version will be perfect. Spicy lovers: You can also add 1 cup of salsa for extra spice!

4 comments:

Angela said...

I make a version of this too but I like to ad a can of black beans and a tablespoon of sourcream on top when you serve it in the bowl. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

The Coupon Diva said...

I totally forgot about the black beans! I added a can of them rinsed to my recipe also but apparently forgot to write it down in my recipe book, thanks for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds like it would be great done in a crock pot too.

Anonymous said...

We eat that as well but we dont put corn in it and I use MASA CASA Corn Meal to add to it as well. We also add Cilantro at the end to give it a kick! MY FAMILY LOVES THIS!