Friday, June 20, 2008

Frugal Friday - Cheap Grout Cleaner!

Today's Frugal Friday tip is one I just learned not too long ago. I have very expensive tile counter tops with grout between the tiles and I can't use any cleaner on the tiles. I can only use soap and water. So this leaves me with the problem of my grout getting dirty and not being able to clean it or get the stains off of it.

I was reorganizing under my bathroom sink one day and I saw a tube (ok well 45 tubes) of whitening toothpaste. The bright idea struck me to use this on my grout lines to see if it would work. So I took a tube of Colgate Whitening toothpaste and smeared it on my grout and let it sit about 20 minutes. Then I took one of my many free toothbrushes and brush my grout and then I wiped everything down with a rag and hot water and soap.

The verdict? It worked pretty good! It didn't get out some of the stains I was hoping it would, like the coffee or kool-aid stains. I'm starting to think those are going to permanent forever. Anyways, it did overall whiten my grout and made it look all pretty and clean!

This is a great way to use some of that free toothpaste and toothbrushes so many of us have!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I was just looking for something to clean my grout! I'll give this a try!

Loretta said...

I use shoe polish for stubborn grout stains...makes is nice n white!