Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Self Cleaning Oven - Works for Me Wednesday

Today's Works for Me Wednesday blog post is about cleaning your oven with the self clean feature. I know not everybody has an oven with a self clean feature but if you do, consider yourself lucky! I have had my new oven for almost 7 months and never even knew what a self clean oven was. Well, I got tired of looking at the yucky mess inside from my husband overfilling pans so I decided to do something about it.

Here is a before picture:


So after looking up self cleaning ovens on the internet and figuring out exactly how it works, I decided to give it a try. And I must say I was actually scared to do this, something about having your oven lock itself and heat up to 900 degrees for 3 hours was not very appealing to me. I did it though, and it was totally worth it. It nuked everything that was inside and all I had to do was wipe everything down with a wet cloth and now it looks brand new again!

Here is an after picture:


I am happy my oven is clean and I am going to keep it clean the old fashion way now, because I am sure using the self clean feature is not very frugal when it comes to the electricity bill.

So self cleaning ovens work for me, wanna see more Works for Me Wednesday tips? Visit here.

5 comments:

Heart of Wisdom said...

Looks so nice. My sis in law had one for years and didn't know it was self cleaning...it was so funny when she figured it out.

Good Job!

robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

I don't really know much about self cleanng ovens either....but they do kinda scare me a bit!
Your oven looks great, though! Good Job.

ttelroc said...

I have a word of caution - I used to have a SCO in my home with an OUTSIDE venting range hood - That was excellent. I now live in a condo with an INSIDE venting range hood and a SCO - not a good combo. The condo filled up with smoke, as well as the hallway to the whole floor. Our fire alarms went off...for a long time.

SO make sure your vent goes outside and isn't one of those recirculating inside ones.

I don't know why the builders of this condo used a SCO in every unit.

The SCO are awesome, if used properly.

MamaHen Em said...

It looks great! I have TWO self cleaning ovens - one in the kitchen, one in the basement. I can not bring myself to use the SC feature on either one. It scares me for the very reasons you stated. I'm so proud of you for being so brave!

GiBee said...

Be careful what you use to keep it clean ... some cleaning products can actually damage the whole self-cleaning finish, etc.